It’s the time when most people are making New Year’s resolutions. Many want to lose weight and get fit, but losing weight fast isn’t the best reason or way to get fit. It’s much better to make incremental changes to your habits and diet for long-lasting results. Instead of making broad goals, try these simple tips for a diet overhaul that will last not only through 2018, but for the rest of your life.
Don’t Lose Weight Fast – Start Slow
- Add exercise to your daily routine in 5-minute increments, rather than wearing your body out by diving in deep the first day.
- Add one piece of fresh produce to your lunch each day.
- Replace one drink each day with water.
- Instead of your mid-morning donut, pop a sugar-free mint or stick of gum in your mouth.
- Brush and floss your teeth after lunch for a fresh, clean mouth all afternoon.
Designate Theme Days
- Make one day a week fish day.
- Pick up one new fruit or vegetable each week to try.
- Have color-themed meals, like a yellow Thursday or purple Sunday.
- Choose one day a week to try a new activity to get moving.
Plan Your Shopping and Meals
- Shop with a list instead of randomly buying whatever looks good at the store.
- Leave the ice cream, chips, and soda at the store. If they aren’t in your home, you’re less likely to cater to your cravings late at night.
- Plan meals around your weekly routine. If you do need to pick up fast food, choose a place where you can get a fresh salad or a low-fat meal that won’t wreck your goals.
- When you socialize, plan to do things without food. Meet at the park to play ball. Go to the science museum. Take a hike. Enjoy a movie together.
Take Care of Your Body
- Exercise doesn’t have to be on the treadmill. Dance. Walk the dog. Garden. Play golf. Make movement fun and get your blood pumping.
- Make sure you get enough sleep.
- Visit your bariatrician for annual tests. Stay on top of your health.
These small tips may seem like a lot. Work on one or two things each week until it becomes second nature. By making small changes that are manageable, you’ll be able to work them into your routine. Rochester Medical Weight Loss wants to be your partner for 2018 for sustained weight loss. Make an appointment for a consultation with our wellness coordinator, not to lose weight fast, but to make life-long changes that will benefit your health and mental well-being.