Makes: 16 servings
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
4 lbs. sweet potatoes (8; preferably long)
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cover potatoes with cold, salted water in a large pot, then bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly resistant in center when pierced with a small knife, about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain well. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes with a small, sharp knife and quarter lengthwise.
- Prepare grill for cooking.
- Whisk together lime juice, salt, and pepper and add oil in a slow stream, whisking. Whisk in cilantro.
- When fire is hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for only 1 to 2 seconds), grill potatoes in 2 or 3 bathes on lightly oiled grill rack (over coals if using charcoal grill), uncovered, turning, until grill marks appear and potatoes are just tender, 3 to 6 minutes total.
- Serve potatoes warm or at room temperature, drizzled with vinaigrette.